Check out this week’s enews for an update on the officer nomination process ongoing in 2011.
The three men remaining on this demanding journey will meet with representatives of our leadership this Saturday morning for a debrief from their near two month self-study process of officer training.
Here are the kinds of questions we will put before them:
- What issues, questions, key insights, and/or concerns surfaced as a result of your reading of your Strauch book?
- How would you assess your familiarity with the doctrines of grace and an overall Reformed view of theology? Where, if at all, might you take exception to our confession of faith?
- To what extent do you feel the gospel governs your own heart’s desires and how prepared do you feel to engage the people we serve and shepherd in “scuba diving” into the depths of their hearts?
- When you grapple with the biblical qualifications of church officers in terms of your own testimony, how do you feel you measure up by God’s grace?
- How would you imagine yourself reacting to participating in a church discipline case within OGC that resulted in excommunication? How equipped do you feel in the realm of biblical peacemaking for all levels of restorative discipline within the body of Christ?
- What questions do you have about the role of elder? If a candidate on this score, how prepared do you feel you are to step into the office and function in a God-glorifying way?
- What questions do you have about the role of deacon? If a candidate on this score, how prepared do you feel you are to step into the office and function in a God-glorifying way?
- Where, if at all, do you have concern that you lack preparation for office and how might we assist you in addressing that?
- What questions do you have about where you will proceed from here should God give you liberty to continue to pursue answering your nomination call?
- How would you suggest we might improve the overall process thus far in setting apart future leaders for OGC?
Please continue to pray for these men and their discernment about the will of God for their future with respect to service on the leadership team at OGC. And don’t forget to check out the update this Thursday!
I’m thankful for the rigorous, thorough, discreet and humble procedures our leaders have implemented to take the call of eldership appointment seriously. Thanks to the OGC elders and deacons and to those who are in process!
Thanks for your comment, Kevin!