Looking for a special gift with a spiritual thrust for someone this Christmas? Why not consider this new devotional from New Growth Press, Heart of the Matter: Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives (2012, 412 pages)? This offering of daily devotional readings with suggested Scripture passages comes from the good folks at CCEF, a favorite around our ministry for promoting biblical counseling from a Christ-centered, gospel-shaped perspective.
Here’s the publisher’s description:
Change that goes deeper than the surface of our lives happens over the long haul as we daily remember and connect the truths of the gospel to our lives. Every day we need to be reminded – in different ways – that Jesus, God’s own Son, came to this world to save us from sin, sorrow, and death. The promises of God, which are all “yes” in Jesus, change the way we view ourselves, our circumstances, and other people.
This devotional gives a daily reminder of these life-changing truths. Anchored in Scripture and saturated with the gospel, the 366 selections include the following topics: love, hope, grace, redemption, faith, contentment, conflict, relationships, prayer, fear, patience, humility, and anger. These reflections will help the reader to:
- Learn how God in his Word addresses a host of life situations;
- Focus on how the gospel intersects with life;
- Look beyond circumstances to God’s purposes;
- See how God values relationship and to learn to value it too by persisting, by speaking truth in love, and by not shying away from conflict.
- Grow in wisdom when confronted by life’s changes.
- Learn that God works change that is effective and visible.
This hardback gem retails for $19.99. We managed to secure a dozen of them for only $8. Pick up a copy this Sunday in the resource center!